In our last post, we told you that IBM viewed cloud computing as enabling business growth and as a driving force behind innovation. So, this means its smart law practice management to migrate your firm to the cloud. Of course, the key question then is: how do you do that and what is involved in migration?
Migrating to the Cloud
In June of 2011, the Small Firm Innovation Blog addressed the issue of law firm migration to the cloud. According to their article, when you are ready to begin using cloud computing, you should:
- First determine what current software/hardware functions will be replaced by cloud computing solutions. If you don’t have established software and programs in place, this process is as easy as picking a cloud-service provider. If you already have software in place, however, you will need to decide whether to replace all server-based software with cloud software or not.
- Research the security of your cloud service provider and weigh the risks and benefits of storing any confidential info in the cloud. If you aren’t sure that the confidential info will be safe, then keep it on your servers and store only non-privileged files on the cloud.
- Check the cloud computing software for compatibility with your existing software programs. You want any software accessed on the cloud to integrate seamlessly with software used on your server.
- Confirm what mobile access will be available through your cloud service provider. Whenever possible, your attorneys and support staff should be able to access documents they need from anywhere.
If you keep these factors in mind when you get ready to migrate to the cloud, you are sure to have positive results that help to make law practice management easier and IT costs less expensive.
Latest posts by Aaron Fletcher (see all)
- The Definitive Guide to Legal Blogging: 7 Steps to a High Traffic Law Firm Blog - November 26, 2013
- Anatomy of a Perfect Law Firm Website: 17 Steps to More Traffic and Clients - November 18, 2013
- 2013 Lawyer Directory Ratings: The Top 6 Attorney Sites for SEO and Lead Generation - August 15, 2013